It’s hard to imagine a business that does not rely on some level on a functional data cabling network. Big or small, this is what connects everything within a business to each other and to the outside world – from email and Internet to accessing databases and printing documents, and everything in between. With the ability to operate smoothly and without interruption, there is a lot relying on reliable and sustainable data cabling installations.
This pressure should not be taken lightly, and neither should it overwhelm and immobilise your efforts. A mistake could cost your business dearly. However, a logical approach makes the entire process of data cabling installations much easier than it may seem.
9 Useful Tips for Tackling Data Cabling Installations
- Planning Is Essential: Effective and sustainable data cabling installations require you to take several factors into consideration. In addition to planning according to your budget, your physical space, your office layout, and your connectivity requirements, you also need to consider what your needs will be in the future and plan accordingly.
- Invest in Proper Cable Management Infrastructure: You may think that you can get away with no or basic cable management support, but trust us on this one – you’ll be making your own life much simpler if you take the time and effort to invest in proper cable management infrastructures, such as racks, labels, and inventories. This will help to make troubleshooting and expansions much easier, as well as help to extend the lifespan of your cables.
- Be Cautious of Where You Run Your Cable: Data cabling installations should never be done alongside electrical cables, as this could lead to serious interference, and might even result in interruptions in connectivity and necessitate an entire re-installation. Also avoid other items that give off interference, such as fluorescent lights, most motors, and other magnetic devices.
- Take Cable Length Limitations Into Consideration: If your business is situated across a large property, be aware that there are limitations as to how far a cable can stretch before it loses efficacy. Take these distances into consideration in the planning and take the necessary steps to boost connectivity, as necessary.
- Test, Test, Test: Never, ever wait until the entire installation is done before you test whether it works or not. In fact, test each and every cable and component as you install it. This way, you will know immediately if a component is not working, rather than having to check the entire network at the end to try and find the issue. This is a serious waste of time and money.
- Data Cabling Installations May Be Subject to Certain Laws and Codes: Be sure to follow prescribed safety regulations and installation codes to make sure your network is compliant with local laws at all times. The last thing you want is the double blow of having to pay a fine and re-install your entire cable network.
- Adhere to Industry Standards: This is to ensure that your network works optimally. Standards are there for a reason – not to make life difficult for you, but to make your system work better for you.
- Keep Your Network Up to Date: Technology has a habit of changing very quickly. Stay on top of this and update your system as necessary rather than postponing these updates. It will ensure optimal efficiency, minimise disruption, and spread maintenance cost over a more manageable timeframe.
- Partner with the Experts: Instead of learning through error, get it right the first time by partnering with the professionals. CCI Technology Solutions are experts at data cabling installations for any size and type of business.
Talk to us today about your network needs.